Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The SSA is SOOOO depressing.

Ugh, honestly, I don't think I have ever been so depressed...and just to put this in perspective, I have travelled to 54 countries, most of which were 2nd and 3rd world and not felt so sorry for people as I did this morning. I had to head down there to (finally) apply for my SSN. The office in SF is on Market St at 5th and although it is not the worst part of town (one block down is signifigantly more awful) it was certainly a humbling experience.

Yes, I am stressed out about $$$, not having a job, etc but at the end of the day, I have healthcare (that I pay for) and I don't have to worry about where my next meal is coming from...those 2 basic human needs are covered. No, I don't have $$$ to buy new clothes, or go on vacation, or splurge on some other luxury I really don't need (but would love to have) but I have a roof over my head, food in my belly and my health. So many of these people would have only been in their 30's and 40's and looked so much holder because of having a hard life filled with stress, hunger, violence and disability....and seeing this in what is supposed to be a "1st World Country" is just really upsetting. It made me think; did these people every stand a chance here? I write this tentatively in case immigration is reading my blog (LOL) but this government should be ashamed for the way it treats some of it's citizens, they are human beings too and in a 1st world country no one should go hungry, no one should be unable to afford healthcare (umm, because it should be free for all) and everyone should have a bed to sleep in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chanta Rose: Bondage Expert said...

Suze, it is enlightening to read what you wrote. I find that, because I am not an american citizen I have to be very careful about what I say about this country...and I do understand that, I am a guest here and if I don't like it I should leave but some things are just so upsetting here. The money that is spent on war, etc and not on providing healthcare, the wages that teachers are paid, therefore making it an undesirable profession for people to enter and the entire way of trewating certain people as if they are invisible...ugh, it really upsets me.

My entire life I have donated $$$ to cancer research, it has always been my cause of choice for a good decade before I ever had the disease but I feel the small amount of charity I can offer is about to go elsewhere.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home