Sunday, May 07, 2006

Vacation Days!!!!

I have returned back to the US from Mexico and again, no problems with immigration, woohoo! So, here was my trip:

Saturday: Fly to Cancun, taxi to Playa del Carmen, check out local strip, ate the most amazing mixed grill with lobster, steak, chicken and shrimp...definitely felt as if I was on top of the food chain!

Sunday: Checked out the Tulum ruins but when at the hottest part of the day...bad idea. Nice, small ruins that over look the ocean but just to hot to really enjoy so off to Xel-Ha for some snorkelling in caves and lagoons with the fish...very cool!

Monday: Lazy Beach Day! Lots of good food (discovered a place called 100% natural for breakfast which rocked so we had desayunos here almost every day...for me, fruit and yogurt, green iced tea and the nirvana: vegetables with goat cheese and fried egg!).

Tuesday: Xcaret! Loved this place except that it didn't say what exhibits were closed at the front so we trekked around in the heat for an hour to find the bat caves and when got there they were being refurbished! Still, was worth it as this palce has the coolest of cool over mile long rivers to snorkell down. Not many fish but lost of caves , high walls, trees, vines, etc. Later that night we went to the Xcaret Show...super cool! Saw the performers play "fire ball", etc. Seats were uncomfortable so Marty upgraded us to the "dinner and a show" front row best seats (with cushions) and a 4 course meal...oh and we had a kick ass huge buffet for lunch too (paella, lasagne, meat, etc).

Wednesday: Another lazy beach day! Got some drinks, nachos and some comfy beach chairs and chilled out!

Thursday: Rented a car and drove to the "Hidden Worlds" Cenotes for a tour...don't normally like tours but this was only 2 hours with a total of 5 people...one of which studies law at Cambridge (where I have been accepted)...lots of underground caves, swimming around, etc. I couldn;t help it though, I had to pee in my wetsuit LOL! I kept pulling the leg part from my skin to let water in (and pee out)!!!

Friday: Got up super early (6am) and drove to Coba to see the ruins. These are my favorite and are very similar to teh Tikal ruins in Guatemala (but better). We got a bicycle taxi to run us around as we wanted to beat the tour groups. We both climbed Nohoch Mul (45 metres tall) to see the view, amazing. Had a nice traditional Mayan lunch and the headed off to Chichen Itza. Unfortunately you can't climb El Casdtillo anymore as a woman fell and died a couple of months back but it was still cool to see (it has been restiored a lot since I saw it last 10 years ago). It was super hot so we headed to the Kil Il Cenote and had a quick dip followed by a nice buffet and then made the 3 hours drive back to Playa del Carmen!

Saturday: Packed, started preparing ourselves to come back to the real world, etc. Headed to the airport and flew back to SFO!

So...theres my trip! I really loved it and was so happy for Marty to finally leave the US...I really want him to experience other cultures, etc and I think it really opened his eyes that the rest of the world is different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home