Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Naturalization

The paperwork collecting in life is never ending. From mortgage refinancing to taxes to homeland security LOL! Currently I am working on all 3 of these so the piles of copies of various bank statements, etc on my desk is a little out of control!

On March 7th, I become eligible for the naturalization process. As I have lived all over the world, I have seen how America, and therefore Americans are loathed. I have shared many of these opinions and I am sure I will continue to do so. What always amazes me about the US is that it's citizens are so patriotic, yet, their government treats them like crap!!! Most of my gripes come from the ridiculous cost of education and healthcare. I believe these to be human rights, not priveleges for the rich...or luxuries that will place people in debt for their entire lives.....but I digress.

Will I become a US citizen? Yes. I simply cannot live somewhere and pay taxes, etc and then not be permitted to vote. I also do not like that if I am a member of any advocacy groups, etc that can threaten my residency. Lastly, I do not want to have to reapply and therefore pay again, for a new greencard every 10 years.

So this decision is based on 3 things: 1. Convenience, 2. What I believe are my rights, and 3. The fact that I will not have to give up my Australian citizenship to do this.

2 Comments:

Blogger ArabianShark said...

It's a bit silly to judge the entire population of any given country. That said, there does seem to be a general trend of dislike towards Americans, but, for some reason, the sentiment isn't quite the same towards those who became citizens rather than those who were born citizens. Or at least so it seems...

At any rate, with that lovely accent of yours, who could loathe you at all?

5:54 AM  
Blogger spidey0042 said...

you fail to get it.......the government is US. Ironic U.S. is the acronym.

We can change what we wish to change......healthcare, education, etc. It may not happen overnight but it can happen.

Look who was just elected President?!?!? Just over 40 years ago African Americans were struggling (still a lot of work to do)to claim/employ those rights.

Change......takes time!

Oh, love your work. Your 11/20 Audrey Hollander update was emotionally charged. Too hot!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home