Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mean Travel Gods

I am wide awake at 5am. Actually, I've been wide awake since 3:30am but tried to stay resting in bed for as long as I could. I never, ever get jet-lagged because I have what I believe is a rather perfest long haul travel system but these last couple of days could thrown anyone off.

I left London as plannned around 3pm on on Tuesday 12/16. Usually I fly direct but for many stupid reasons I booked a flight via Chicago O'Hare (for extra miles and a cheaper ticket). Due to strong winds and bad weather at O'Hare we landed 90 minutes late so I was sure I had missed my domestic connection to SF but it was delayed. I ran through the terminals and security and made it to my gate only to play a game of watch the delay time keep changing. When an airline keeps delaying a flight, and the plane you're supposed to get on isn't even there it doesn't look good. Thinking ahead I decided to volunteer to fly out the next day. The flight was over sold anyhow and if you volunteer you usually get your hotel paid for and a travel voucher worth a couple of hundred bucks but United weren't offering anything so I stayed put.

After 3 hours, we had a plane, a crew and we were all seated and ready to go. Planes were taking off and landing as there was a break in the weather. Unfortunately, what we did not have was a pilot. Ground crew asked us all to disembark and of course, United blamed the weather so they wouldn't have to pay for anyones hotel. After waiting in line to get a new flight for the next day (no offense to the average flyer but I am a super high frequesnt flyer and I am booked in first class so why the fuck am I in a line half a mile long with everyone else? There are special lines for us at check in, at boarding, etc but not at customer service...bullshit) and realising the closest hotel available using the pink discount voucher the airline gave out I decided to sleep in the airport. Finally, late this afternoon I arrived back home in SF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home