Friday, July 11, 2008

Back to work...almost

Landed Wednesday afternoon and was welcomed back to this country by being hoarded off to secondary inspection by border control. I know I have ranted about this before but here goes again, do not read on if this will offend you but, FUCK YOU AMERICA! Seriously, what more do you want from me? I have the old passport with residency stamp, the new passport, the expired greencard, the original letter from USCIS saying the date on the card has been extended by a year, etc, etc...oh, and my husband, who also happens to be a US citizen is standing next to me (and just in case, I also have the marriage certificate in hand).

In the US, a person can basically buy their way in for $100,000(+). It's callled an E visa. This is when a person wants to start a business here and is willing to invest upwards of $100,000 into the US economy. Obviously, I am a greencard holder, not an E visa holder but to put things in perspective, I have contributed more than 10 times this amount to the economy (and that's just the house) as well as employing US citizens but I still get scrutinized. Thankfully Marty was with me because these situations with US immigration always make me nervous. They wanted to take my actual card off of me (not stop me from staying, just take the plastic) but I need that to travel, work, have a drivers license, etc until I get a new one so this would have caused me a lot of problems. Funny how saying I wanted to call my attorney before surrendering it had my passport stamped, back into the US, with greencard in hand. I have to remember, in the US, mentioning your attorney will get you everywhere.

So, this post no has nothing to do with work, which I should be doing right now (editing Bobbi Starr and daniel for CaptiveMale) but I want to make a bigger point about immigration in the US:

People come here with a dream. Regardless of where they come from, generally, I believe people come here in search of a better life; whether it be better education, more money to feed their family, a better busness opportunity, etc and although this may sound naive I truely believe that most people are honest and want to work to make a living (the foreigners). To come here, it is understood that there will be waiting, and inconvenience, and red tape. That's just the way it is, we weren't born here and we want to come here so jumping through hoops is expected, and patience is required. I am fine with all of that, and those American born reading this may think "Suck it up Sunshine" (LOL, I do) but there are some really traumatic moments in coming to this country and even when you are "legal" you still do not have the same human rights as others and the result of this is quite a simple; a resentment, possibly even a hatred for this country and this is huge problem. Now, instead of having immigrants here that are so happy to be trying to make their way in life and contribute to society you have people earning money here, not spending it here and sending it out, back to the country they may one day return to with US dollars in hand. Not good for the economy, for society, etc.

So what casues this "resentment":

1. Despite jumping through all of the hoops and doing everything correctly, and having all of the exact documentation with you, being taken into a waiting room to be grilled by border control as you return from vacation.
2. Point 1 is made worse when you (like me) pay huge amounts of tax, employ US citizens and own expensive property; in short, when you are making more of a contribution to the economy than 95% of citizens.
3. Having the required medical exam which is humiliating and involves personal questions, then being jabeed with 4 needles in the space of 30 seconds (despite the fact you can prove you've already had these vaccines and are trying to show this documentation, of course, you are ignored, you are on the conveyor belt of the "Welcome to America" wagon). Then you leave with a sealed envelope that you must forward to USCIS. The contents explain if the doctor feels you are of sound mind.
4. Being charged multiple times to have your fingerprints taken (it's not cheap, my fingers haven't changed and neither has the technology USCIS is using to capture them).
5. Last, but certainly not least. Finally, you are a tax paying, legal resident of the US using the same roads, schools, etc as everyone else, but no, you are not permitted to vote. To be happy (anywhere) people must feel that they can be part of a change...even if that is not the case with one single vote, it's the way it makes you feel inside. To deny this simple human right is to do the opposite and make those people feel like second class citizens. Yes, the IRS will take your money, yes, you must follow the las of this country, etc but no, you may not play any part in choosing it's leader.

Rant finished, going to edit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home