Thursday, July 10, 2008

Charity Woes LOL!

Today I cancelled my monthly contribution of $20 to Environment California. It's not a huge amount that I give, but $240 a year from someone who did not earn an income for almost 3 years and even now, makes a very modest living as what II felt I could give. There are other causes I also donate to regularly and other organizations I like to support (mainly the arts) but if there is one thing that will make me cancel my donations immediately and forever it is spelling my name wrong or getting my gender wrong.

When I receive e-mails or letters about what the charity is working on addressed to Mr. Mynamespeltwrong I resent the contribution I make. After informing Environment California of this error in the spelling of my name more than a couple of times now I simply had enough. Funny, in Gordon Ramsay's book "Playing with Fire" he also says that when he considers the many charities that ask for his help any cover letter addressed to Mr. RamsEy is immeditaly thrown in the trash.

So, now I will contribute what may be considered a meagre amount (but a lot to me) to another charity. If anyone can recommend any other good organisation that deals with environmental issues that would be helpful. I already have cancer, human rights, sex slavery of children and a couple of others covered. Please do not suggest HIV/AIDS to me. This city already has plenty of people dealing with that one.

Take care,
Chanta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home