Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thyroid...or lack thereof

I am bad, very bad. I am what the doctors would call "non-compliant", what this basically means is that I do not take my prescribed medication correctly and I know it. My excuse? The very lame "I forget" which is actually true. What is also true is that even when I remember I rarelt take it correctly.

Not having a thyroid means taking my replacement hormone supplement every day, at the same time, on an empty stomach (for an hour). I have never been able to do that last part. I have to eat when I get up, even if it's something small. I also have to have a cup of tea with milk in it. Having dairy in your stomach completely makes the process of your body receiving the correct amount of hormone ineffective.

Now, I have never been good at taking daily meds, this is one of the many reasons I am not on the birth control pill but this is something my body needs, and the fact that in the last 3 months I have taken less than a third of what I am supposed is actually now starting to effect me a lot. Hubby pointed out to me today that I am sleeping between 11-14 hours a day. He's right, I am, and when I am not sleeping (like right now, after a 3 hour nap) I want to be. I could sleep all day and night and still feel drained.

I need a system. I also need to know if I am really doing any real damage to my body by being so careless. I don't do the same things at the same time every day. On 2 shoot days I am up at 6am. On other days I am so exhausted from the 2 shoot days I sleep in until 11am. Some days I take the ogs to the [ark first thing, other days it's the beach, other days I am travelling in Europe, etc. I am not making excuses now but when I try to think of something I do, every morning without fail, the only thing is peeing at around 6am when I wake up to pee. That's it. The rest of the time everything is different...but I need to start remembering to take this medication because I have a feeling this "non-compliance" of mine could actually kill me.

1 Comments:

Blogger ArabianShark said...

You've just reminded me that I really should start taking my daily aspirin more carefully.

How about getting a wristwatch with several programmable alarms? Cliché, but do you suppose it would work?

And, much as I try, I can't go without mentioning this, because you're a Mac person (as opposed to a PC person): the iPhone allows you to set multiple alarms with your ringtone of choice and any display message you write. Also these can be made to repeat themselves on a weekly, but, oddly enough, not a daly basis, although you could set them up not to repeat themselves and turn them on every day by hand, or set up seven alarms for the same hour, one for each day of the week.

Right, sorry about the geek gush. I hope this was any help.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home