Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Mercy Kill

Preface: If you are someone that believes that killing a rodent is animal cruelty do not read on.

So, about 2 weeks ago I walked into the kitchen, turned on the light and saw a mouse run across the floor and into the wall. The walls are currently open because Marty and I have had the entire kitchen rewired and they can't be closed up again until the city signs off on it...so basically we have given Mr. Mouse here easy access.

A couple of days later I am preparing dinner on the counter and I notice that 2 human size bites have been take out of a choc chip muffin. The saran wrap torn and boted gone. I immediately think it was Marty...that he took 2 bites and then put it back without wrapping it...afterall, these are the kinds of things husbands do LOL but then I notice the other one is the same and it's the goddamn mouse. No wonder it is so huge...it's been eating my delicious baking!!! I clear out all food from the kitchen area.

The next night I am sitting in my office and I can hear something in the pantry. Now, I am being noisy and yet this mouse has the confidence to be looking for food when it knows humans are less than 20 ft away. I tried to catch it but it was too fast but what happened next was the final straw. A pack of Mc Vities lay on the floor. My favorite biscuit I bring back from the UK with me. Now it's war.

I lay out a couple of glue traps and wait a couple of days. Sure enough we catch the fat fuck. But the weird things with these traps is that they are not poisonous, etc, so the poor mouse now has to be stuck and suffer a slow death. A quick kill is much kinder. I get my heaviest, largest knife and chop it's head off (well partially, but the point is the instant death). Quick, to the point and done. Marty asks me to wrap it in newspaper to be disposed of and then starts asking me if I am okay, will I be able to sleep that night, etc. I guess I am supposed to be traumatized but I'm not. It was a rodent. Growing up I had to slit a sheeps throat and chop the heads off of chickens. I understand that to eat meat an animal must die, or if an animal is suffering it should be euthanased...or in this case, if you're a rodent eating my McVities I am going to kill you.

take care,
Chanta

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope that if during a hot humiliation scene, when you start calling the bottom "vermin" you remember the difference! ;)

3:22 AM  
Blogger ArabianShark said...

Funny, I wouldn't have thought of a kitchen knife for that job... A meat cleaver, perhaps...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Niszka said...

Hahaha, I know the feeling. Coming from a little village, I grew up with the same views, so sleep well ;-).

Cheers
Niszka

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home