Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Have you heard of Recycling????

The other day I had a new PA working on set. It was quite a big shoot (big meaning multiple models, expensive and long) so I wanted to be well staffed. My videographer had a friend from Florida visiting that used to work for Score group so he came to help out which was great and much appreciated. Throughput the day/shoot, I gathered up bottles, cans, etc as I usually do and sat them next to the trash container on set so that they can be put into the recyclying bin at the end of the day. As the end of the day approached I noticed that all of the cans, etc were now in the trash can, mixed in with the dirty baby wipes, etc. I immediately ask in a bitchy tone "Who put the recycling in the trash?" and the PA replies, genuinely surprised, "wow, you recycle?". I say "yes, it's my planet too" and start weeding through the trash filled with bodily fluids to once again separate the trash from the recycling. Once placed in a bix paper bag I ask the PA to take it downstairs and put it in the big bins. The larger of which is for recyclables. Again, he is amazed...how could that larger of the 2 garbage bins be for recycling? My videographer explained to me later that that is just the way it is middle America. It's all trash, it all get's thrown out in the same place, only hippies recycle, etc, etc.

WOW! I am so shocked. I have been recycling in Australia since I was 5 (not that Australia is that great, just like the US, Oz has not signed on to Kyoto) and considering how wasteful we (all) are I think it is a very small thing that we could all do to make a difference, and it isn't even close to how much we should all be doing. I was just floored that in this "1st world" country there are places that still do not recycle as common practice.

Take care,
Chanta

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home